Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Empire Avenue. Second Look.

Empire Avenue, I've written on this before, but my thoughts on this have changed.  First off, for those of you who are reading this for the first time, might want to know what Empire Avenue is.  Empire Avenue is a Social Network driven stock market game.  Wait...What?  Socially driven stock market game?  Yep, that's right, in other words, you're activity on your other social networks, is reflected in your stock price.  Not a very active Social Networker?  You can expect your stock to drop a bit and for people to sell your stock.  You're stock price is also affected by how many people sell you versus how many people buy you.  The more people that buy than sell, the higher the stock price.  Dividends are given to your stock holders.  That's also calculated based on your Social Network activity and how much people interact with you.  There you have it.  The basics of Empire Avenue.

Now, some of you might wonder why exactly, am I writing another post about it?  Well, some times, after a while of playing something, we have to step back and look at things from a different angle.  Is the game really living up to our perspectives.  Yes, many people consider Empire Avenue a game that merely connects your Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Flickr, LinkedIn, Facebook Fan Page, and Blogs.

So, what exactly do I think about Empire Avenue now?  Well, first off, I should probably point out that, regardless of what I say here, I'll probably still end up playing Empire Avenue.

Empire Avenue to me has really taken a hit.  There are a lot of legitimate people out there playing this, but there are also a lot of content farmers.  I've noticed something lately, that the people that are really high up there on Empire Avenue, are people that are on it all day basically.  Well, most of them.  Not all of them.  Also, many of those people tend to have 15-25 blog post or more a day.  Just to produce good dividends.  Though, luckily Empire Avenue only counts 20 blog post for the day as the limit.  These people are also on twitter a lot.  They tweet often.  Not so regularly that you get sick of it, like spammy, but they do tweet often.  Their Facebook pages, get a lot of likes.  How?  I don't know.

It make seem like I'm complaining about this, but I'm only complaining that it takes so much effort to even make yourself a top stock.  It's ridiculous.  On top of all those Facebook Post and Twitter Tweets, a lot of these guys upload at least 2 videos a day to Youtube.  The system isn't really that fair for a lot of the smaller people.  Especially people who aren't used to posting 10 blog post a day.  You know how hard it is some times to find something to write about?

Well, I think you get the idea, the game is pretty much suited to people who are really active.  Also, if you miss one day, it's not that bad, but if you miss two days on inactivity......your stock takes a hit.  How is that even fair?  Ok, I've done enough rambling.  That said.  I'm still probably going to play Empire Avenue.  I'm still going to be producing content and writing articles.  It may however slow down a bit over time.  This can be quite a time consumer.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about EA. On the positive side, it has introduced me to some very supportive writers and it has forced me to step up my social media game. I've learned a lot. But the pressure to perform can feel kind of destructive too -- am I blogging/posting to keep my score up or because I actually have something to say?

    ReplyDelete